How Popular Are These Sites?
- Two-thirds of the world’s entire online population have visited social networking sites and online communities.
- This places social networks and online communities as the fourth most popular category of online activities, ahead of personal email.
- One out of every eleven minutes spent online worldwide is spent on an online community or social network.
- 65% of adult users on the internet use some type of social networking site.
How Are These Sites Commonly Used?
- Chat rooms are used for two or more Internet users to speak back and forth with each other via text or through a microphone.
- Blogs are an online diary in which a person can digitally write his or her thoughts, opinions, ideas, rants, and so forth.
- Social Networking Sites function like an online community of internet users. Depending on the website, many of these online community members shard common interests in hobbies, religion, or politics. Socializing may include reading other members profile pages and even contacting them.
- Virtual Worlds is a computer-based stimulated environment through which users can interact with one another and use and create objects.