by David McGraw
What is a Wiki?
Common Craft has published a very informative (and funny) video entitled Wikis in Plain English. The video is a great introduction to wikis in general.
Log into the Wiki
It is possible to look at any of the wiki pages without logging into the system, but you must log in if you wish to edit any pages. This way we can track who made each change. There is a link on the right side of the dark blue toolbar at the top of every page that allows you to log in using your HawkID and password. If you are not a UI student, please contact David McGraw (mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org) for a temporary ID and password.
Add Information to an Existing Page
To add information to any page, just click on "Edit" in the upper right corner. The webpage will convert to Rich Text mode, which looks like a Word document with a toolbar for bold, italics, underlined text, etc. You can simply type or cut-and-paste information from other documents. If you are html-savvy, you can click on the Wiki Markup tab. A link to the most common mark-up codes can be found at the bottom of each page.
You can also click on the "Comments" button to add a quick comment to any page. When you are done adding information, type your name next to your entry so that we know who added what. Then click "Save" and you're done!
Add a Link to an External Website
- Click on "Edit Page."
- Type full website address, including "http://." The wording must be exact; e.g., http://www.uiowa.edu . The safest way to create a link is to copy and paste the website address from your browser window.
- Click "Save." A small green arrow point up right will appear next to the link.
- Test your link to make sure that it works.
Create a New Wiki Page
- Click on the "Add Page" link in the tool bar. The same window as "Edit Page" will open on a blank page.
- Give the page a new name in the upper window. Be short but descriptive.
- Click "Save" when you are done.
- Go back to your team page and add a link to the new page.
- Click on "Edit Page"
- Type the name of your new page.
- Highlight the name you have just typed.
- The Rich Text toolbar has an icon that looks like a globe with a chain link. If you hover your cursor over the icon, the words "Insert/Edit Link" will appear. Click on this icon.
- Type the name of your new page. The wording must be exact.
- Click Okay!
Receive automatic notifications when anyone changes my team's pages.
If you click on the Tools drop-down menu in the upper right corner of every page, you will find a grey star and a grey envelope. Click on the envelope to receive an e-mail once a day of any changes to the pages you are "watching." Once you click on the icon, it will change from grey to full color. The star icon is to label a page as a "favorite." Personally, I think it is easier to create a bookmark in your web browser than to use the wiki favorite system.
Help! I'm a Mac User!
So am I. This wiki doesn't play nice with the Safari browser. I strongly recommend that you download Firefox for free and use that browser for edits to this wiki.