Due to the open nature of wikis, you may find your wiki being populated by spam content. This is junk content that contains links to other, non-related websites. Spam content is often an issue when wiki spaces allow anonymous content creation. There are two methods to control spam creation on your wiki space:
- Most spam can be avoided by adjusting the permissions for your wiki space. Follow these helpful tips:
- Do not allow anonymous content creation
- Give Anonymous users "View Only" permission to enable viewing by any individual regardless of their logged in status (see attached screenshot).
- Restrict editing to 'uiowa-users' for HawkID users or 'confluence-users' for HawkID and external users.
- Most individuals only need 'View, Add Pages, and Add Comments' permissions.
- Monitor content creation or edits by subscribing to an email update for your wiki space.